Sunday 22 January 2017

Memories of Vietnam

When I was young I thought I was naive and ignorant and knew nothing.
I grew up and traveled far and wide.
Now I know I am naive and ignorant and know nothing.
- could just be Jon Snow


It's been close to a year since I traveled to Vietnam with Benj. when I look back and think about it it is a myriad of throwbacks; annoying, hilarious, absurd and beautiful.

एक 
People smile and say f**k you! We found a hotel, got over charged, had to wait till eternity before checking in and kept getting moved from room to room. but hey at least the owner told me my brows were on fleek and Benj was really lucky to have found a pretty Indian girl!
Now only if everyone screwed you up laced with compliments!

So pre-wedding photoshoots are a thing everywhere it seems

दो 
NOTHING can beat the comfort of joy that chaos brings! Perhaps because as an Indian I am so used to things never really happening on time or happening the way they are supposed to be and yet eventually getting the result you wanted, competing with cattle and scooters and Audi's on roads, houses and every sort of construction fitting in like tetris blocks, perhaps that's why every time I travel in Asia I never feel lost or overwhelmed! 
On the other hand when I first traveled to Switzerland it freaked the day lights out of me when a bus patiently waited behind me, without honking as I sauntered in the middle of the road at my own sweet pace! I could barely sleep for the first few nights, I mean how could I without any dogs barking, cars screeching or wedding songs to lull me?!
Asia FTW!!

Always such a balancing act between chasing and letting go


तीन 
Pho-bo is comfort! Period.

Pho-tastic!

चार 
People asked to get pictures clicked with me! I understood how Benj felt about his fan following in India being a foreigner, or how animals in the zoo feel.
Also this one time we were stranded in the middle of the night, slept on a bench, woke up to see other Asian tourists video taping us!

पांच 
Hoan Kiem is life!! There is really nothing better than starting your day at Hoan Kiem lake in Hanoi. old ladies graceful doing Tai-Chi, old men casually doing hammer curl reps under the weeping willows. it is an absolute burst of charm and antiquity one needs to experience!

Hoan Kiem Lake

Bridge where the morning light rests


छे 
Take a sampan ride in Tam Coc. Even if you are going to it's more famous cousin Halong Bay. Quietly meander between the karst formations, ogle at brightly coloured kingshers darting around and mountain goats perched precariously on the limestone formations as your boatman casually switches to rowing with his legs.

Sampans waiting to go to Tam Coc

Bich Dong Cave


सात 
Don't ever be a part of any tour group. You don't want to spoil your experience in Sa Pa dining with a hundred other people.

But do go to Sa Pa. Do a small trek, stand on a peak and marvel at the landscape and vegetation.

SaPa dekho!

Them topography!

आठ 
Visit Halong Bay but go via Cat Ba. Cheaper, less crowded, fantastic atmosphere and lots of places to play beer pong with strangers.





नौ 
please don't go to War Memorials, museums if you can't respect them. The country and it's people went through a lot. They have opened up to the world more to be understood and less to be photographed in selfies with awkward poses and pouts. Or so i would like to believe.

Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum

One of the four important symbols of Vietnamese culture; a dog's body with a lion's head representing both fierceness and loyalty

दस 
Gave it a chance. Like everything else Vietnam did eventually grow on me. They have a flag which represents tolerance and can be seen fluttering on almost structures. It is beautiful.
Very few cities I have visited blend the old and new with as much ease as Hanoi.
Beer, nem, steaming noodles with locals on streets; there are ver few things that can top such experiences.
Reminded me of India where almost every place we went the landscape had a character of it's own and its people maintained their individuality and yet blended with their environment.

Tolerance. Coz well we are all equally annoying

हमेशा 
Travel with your beloved.

love + travel = <heart/>

In my first few days in Vietnam I was n't sure if I would ever go back.

Ever since I landed back India, I have only been thinking about when next I can go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment